Skip to main content

Hinckley's Barnacles Restaurant Photographed by Christina Lauder

Again, more variety for me. Now this really is different and quite a lot of fun, for a change. Its basically just me, on my own, in an empty restaurant before the lunch crowd arrives. Barnacles Restaurant Bar & Bistro is a great restaurant owned by a lovely family and located just off the A5 in Hinckley, Leicestershire. I can highly recommend it. If you want more details please check out this link.


This may look like easy work and in some ways it is. What I find most difficult is positioning the camera on a tripod so that the obvious straight lines are running either perfectly horizontal or vertical as required. When photographing a room on an angle the horizontal lines won't be level but it looks better to find a vertical line to make perfectly parralel to the edge of the image. Without one line level it can result in an image that looks unnaturally wonky. If that were the case we'd likely find our attention goes more to trying to understand what we are seeing rather than appreciating the contents of the image.


This can be made more difficult when photographing wonky old buildings with lots of things in the way preventing a tripod from being positioned where it needs to be. Luckily we have software these days that have tools that enable us to correct lense issues (wide angle lenses will cause a bowing of the image putting curves into what should be straight lines) and we can adjust angles to make these straight lines run as they should.




This restaurant has lots of lovely light which our eyes can see very well. Unfortunately our cameras don't see quiet as well as our eyes. Which is where the job of a professional photographer comes in. I'm able to employ tools and techniques that can enable my camera to record what is necessary so that back at my computer I can use software that will merge multiple images to produce an image that most resembles the vision I had from memory of the day.







In some cases I used additional lights when I felt the dark side of the room was too dark in comparison to the bright side. This is where cameras have problems. Our eyes see detail in shadows much better than our cameras do. So adding a little light helps to show details in the shadows and balance out the light and dark.



The space in this restaurant was really interesting to photograph. I loved all the rooms, the different spaces and the natural light. Its a huge place but with so many small spaces it still feels really intimate, even having multiple spaces suitable for private dining. And the smells as I worked were killing me. It made me so hungry. Actually that's probably the most difficult part of the job for me. I love to eat and smelling nice food like that really got my appetite going. I'm not sure how I'm going to cope next time when they are having me photograph the food. Maybe my hayfever will have started by then and I won't be able to smell it.


Even though I'm predominately a portrait photographer, because I have a solid understanding of light and photographic software I can apply it to a variety of subjects. So I'll finish as I started, reminding you that I love variety and this career I've chosen is perfect for it. 

Again my number is 01455 611069 if you've got some photography that needs doing. Or send me an email using our contact for here.

Comments

dark matter said…
Greatt reading your blog

Popular posts from this blog

I am Still Me: A Story about a Transgender Boy

  Meet Leo. Leo is 15 and currently going through an epic transformation that has momentarily turned the lives of himself and those around him upside down. A mum who once had the daughter she always longed for is now coping with the realisation that she will be living the rest of her life with a son instead. When your child is born you have certain expectations of the typical life they will lead but most of us know and accept that it won't necessarily end up the way we imagine. Not every person wants to marry, have kids or be involved with the opposite sex. Most of us have come to accept this and can adjust to whatever comes our way relatively easily. But few of us have expected to have to deal with a change in sex. Its not that we've hoped it won't happen, but just that it never occurred to us that it might. This is a new adjustment that we as a society are being presented with today, just like so many others that have come before. When I first heard that Phoebe

5 Reasons you Should Consider Getting a Professional Headshot

Headshots, or profile pictures are becoming a requirement of so many tools we regularly use or reference today. From Facebook to Linked In, Instagram to Twitter and often any website that represents a company for which you work or own will have a place to include a photograph that is meant to show your audience who you are. And how you present yourself there will tell your audience so much about you. 1. A profile picture is your first opportunity for your audience to see you. Its often the first impression you make and we all know you only have one chance at a first impression. A professional photographer has the skills to show you in the best, most suitable way to give a great first impression. (These headshots were created for recruitment firm  Optima UK  who asked to have their logo placed behind them. I think it makes these headshots quite eye catching and they should do their job well.) 2. Using a professional to create your headshot will convey yo

Never Work With Children or Animals

Or so the saying goes. But I have to say that working with dogs has been so lovely. They have been almost entirely a dream to work with. I say almost entirely because we have had a few moments where a dog has needed to settle. And one moment where the dog had settled but one of my cats decided to have a look through the glass door which, as you can imagine, rather quickly unsettled the dog. Still, that didn't stop us from creating incredible work. In fact it was during that shoot with the cat instance when I created two of my favourite pieces, shown below. (It was while sitting on the couch here when he noticed the cat peering through the curtain) I don't know if I've just been lucky or all dogs are just easy to work with. I photographed a french bull dog puppy and I thought that would be tough as he hadn't had time to be properly trained yet. But he did everything we wanted in no time at all. And this included the props we used here (below), which to me

Headshots and Portfolio Shoots: Here's What we Offer

Headshot requests are becoming more frequent so I thought I'd put together a post to share some recent work and explain the packages I offer in greater detail. Headshots are typically a simpler and quicker session so my packages are also a little simpler than what I offer in my full studio sessions. If headshots are what you or your child need its really important that you get good quality headshots that can stand out amongst the crowd. A headshot is a representation of you and often the first impression you are giving out to your audience, whether its casting directors, agents or college officials considering your application. A good headshot is more likely to get you noticed and ultimately get you further along your path. Making your headshots the best they can be should go a long way in helping you progress in your chosen path. I offer 2 different levels of service in order to make it as affordable and appropriate as possible. The first is a simple straightforwa

Little Ballerina's

I just love a little girl in a tutu.  This style and subject appeals to me so much that I am now creating a display for the local dance school The Vicky Anne Academy of Dance and Drama  in the hopes that it inspires some of the mums who take their little girls for classes.  For a session such as this you are welcome to bring your own outfits or we are happy to provide you with a tutu of ours you can use for the session.  I have a daughter myself who's been taking ballet classes since she was 2.  I really wanted to capture this aspect of her life for a keepsake I will cherish forever as dance is such an important and large part of her life.  So I set out to create something special, something more than just a typical school like photo.   If you want to see the portraits I created of my daughter please click here . I just love the the images I was able to create here.  They match the image I had in my head perfectly.  The girls were wonderful and highly coope